California has been going through a rainy spell and frankly, I’m not used to this. Growing up, rainy days didn’t come as often as the past month and so I’ve been trying to keep myself busy. Yes, there are things I could be doing and probably should be doing, but motivation comes through thin and weak on rainy days. Boredom is toxic for me. So I though I’d compile some ideas to keep you on your toes during rainy days!
- Bake/cook! Try a new recipe that you haven’t done before! You know, the ones you Pinterest or call your mom or dad about. You can take some time to prepare snacks for when you’re too busy and if you burn down the house, at least it’s raining. (That was a joke, please don’t come after me.)
- Read a book! Lemony Snicket wrote, “It is likely I will die next to a pile of things I was meaning to read.” Well today is not the day to die! Curl up with a cup of joe, a blanket, a book, and live out your Tumblr dreams. If you’re looking for some book suggestions, feel free to check out my video on Winter Books.
- Catch up on that TV series you’ve been meaning to watch. Check your list on Netflix for that mini-series you’ve been putting off or that documentary that you’ve been meaning to watch but keep falling asleep on.
- Take some time for yourself. Personal care is never emphasized enough and rainy days are the perfect time to take sometime and care for yourself. Do that face mask, try on those new clothes you bought, paint your nails, meditate, make that bubble bath with those bath bombs you got for Christmas or just relax.
- Clean/organize your house. You’ve been looking to organize and clean up your house, but you never have the time to. If it’s not too windy or raining too hard, open the window, let some fresh air in and get to cleaning! It can be something like doing the laundry for your bed sheets or organizing your bookshelf.
- Catch up on the news, because things have been happening… Maybe you’re too caught up with life to really get into the details of the all the arguments you’ve been seeing on Facebook or you’ve been putting aside the newspaper for the past few days. Maybe you have no idea what this year’s summer styles are going to be. Now is a perfect time to check in on those magazines, newspapers or even listen to the radio! Take some time, fact-check arguments that people are making, look for the popular styles from Fashion Week and check in to see what your politicians and representatives are up to. It’s helpful to know what’s going on beyond Twitter moments. Have some opinions and you can go forward as a more stylish, informed citizen.
- Go out! While indoor malls may be hellish on rainy days, outdoor malls are empty and it’s a perfect time to go shopping. You won’t have too much of a difficult time looking for parking or wait in line to try on clothes. Yes, you may have to deal with the overzealous retail associate, but at least they’re not too cramped with customers. Put on your rain boots, take a walk and get outdoors.
- Sleep. Let’s be honest, you feel like you never get enough sleep no matter how many hours you clock in. Just catch some zzzz….
- Write. Try your hand at poetry! Write a short story! Make a blog post! Work on a novel! Do a personal essay for fun! Writing is for anytime and all time, rain or shine.